Selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT)
in cases of glaucoma
Another treatment option for glaucoma is selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT). In this short, pain-free procedure, the tissue in the trabecular meshwork of the drainage angle is treated with the laser, so that the intraocular fluid can drain better, reducing the intraocular pressure.
Advantages of selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT)
This procedure has been being successfully carried out for years and is covered by both statutory and private health insurance.
The effectiveness of this form of treatment is certified by its FDA approval, the seal of approval given by the American health authorities.
- SLT is ideally suited for use as a first-line therapy, as it gives patients a significantly increased quality of life.
- No side effects or drug intolerances
- Pain-free procedure whereby the drainage angle remains intact and which can be repeated if indicated without problems
- Immediate reduction in intraocular pressure
- The necessity for eye drops to reduce pressure can be significantly reduced or even completely eliminated.